Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Week 6

Thingy 13
Del.icio.us exercise
1. Can you see the comments they added about this bookmark or the tags they used to categorize this reference?
Yes.

2. Can you see the potential of this tool for research assistance?
Yes. It can be used for collaborative work.

3. Or just as an easy way to create bookmarks that can be accessed from anywhere?
Yes. It is handy to have the bookmarks that are not dependant on which computer I am using since I used multiple computers.

4. How can libraries take advantage of social bookmarking sites?
To see how popular topics to patrons for collection development and topics for library activities.

5. Comments about delicious.
Neat tool to use since I have hundreds of bookmarks that are difficult to find even though they are in folders. Tagging will help me make my bookmarks searchable.

Funny, cute cartoon at:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/eggsong
found from the the delicious exercise.

Thingy 14
Technorati exercise
One thing I find a drawback to Technorati is if you wanted to make your blog private and the Technorati webcrawler finds and indexes your private blog. Perhaps I want to only share my blog with my circle of friends.

Tagging is a good tool to use, if it is used properly. If something is tagged with the wrong tag it make still be unsearchable. Also tagging things runs into the problem with which tags did the topic get attached with? Also tagging runs into the problem that people looking for the subject hopefully know how to approximately spell the topic.

Thingy 15
Library 2.0
I read several of the articles including:
Away from Icebergs
Into a new world of librarianship
To more powerful ways to cooperate
To better bibliographic services

I enjoyed all of the articles. They embrace the idea of using technology to enable better access to information for our patrons. I like the Into a new world of librarianship article the best since it puts into synopsis as to what librarians must to become trendsetters in their profession. I also like way all the articles are put in the same graphic design with a picture related to the article.

No comments: