Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Week 9

Thingy 20
YouTube


I liked the YouTube site. I choose this video because I like educational videos, plus this video is neat in that you can turn an ordinary napkin into a work of art.


Thingy 21
Podcasts
Podcasts are cool. The podcasts are handy to listen to when doing other things--handy for the multi-tasking person like me!

I found the following podcast from the Yahoo podcast site. It contains weekly highlights of What's New in MedlinePlus.gov narrated by the U.S. National Library of Medicine's Director. The website provides consumer health and medical information from the National Institutes of Health and other reliable sources. It has 89 subscribers! I found the podcast to be interesting to listen to.
Some of its tags are: nih, nlm, national library of medicine, medlineplus, child bearth

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/directorscomments.html

Thingy 22
Ebooks and Audio books

I tried the Safari Tech books (SJSU side). Great selection of materials. I am kind of disappointed at the slow speed of "flipping" pages though. With a print book It is just so easy just to turn the page. With the e-book I have to wait to see the next page.

The World EBook Fair' site seems to charge $8.95 per year for access. I tried http://www.gutenberg.org/ instead which is free. I like the selection though I enjoy turning pages in the print version!

Thingy 23

1. What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?
Flickr mashups & 3rd party sites was the most fun and playful.

2. How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?
I learned and played with many new things I did not know before.

3. Were there any take-a-ways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?
I will be using more of the newly discovered websites to make my life and job more interesting and more efficient.

4. What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or concept?
Offering it twice a year. Having supervisors let us set aside time for this.

5. If we offered another discovery program like this in the future, would you choose to participate?
Yes!

No comments: